From the Village Office:

Follow the progress of our village office as we make Colon a friendly

& inviting community.


Colon's DDA Board of Directors has open seats. The Planning Commission also has an open position. Drop off your letters of interest at the Village Office. Help your community grow!

Budget & Reports

Newsletters & Minutes

Fall 2019 Newsletter

July 14, 2020 Council Meeting

August 11, 2020 Council Meeting
Ordinance 2015-11-10 amendment

Consumer Confidence Report (updated)

FY2019-20 Budget Narrative

Annual Water Quality Report


Colon Master Plan

Public Participation Plan

Rules of Order

Please note the DDA does not have any contracts to report.

Permits & Forms

Download, print and deliver these forms to the Village Office; we are happy to serve your many different village needs.  If you have any questions about the forms, feel free to contact us with questions.

Municipal Zoning
Doug Kuhlman, principal

Since 2006 I have been involved with municipalities in both St. Joseph and Cass County serving as their Code Compliance Officer and/or Zoning Administrator.

Zoning has a very significant impact on a community, so I take my position very seriously to keep up on current events and how they may affect each of the communities, and work with each of the boards and commissions to make sure that each of the municipalities are the best that they can be.

I work with the public to assist you with your projects, and to make sure that projects are in compliance with the zoning ordinances.  You don’t see a zoning application on line as I prefer to have a one on one conversation to attempt to make the application process as simple as possible.

I was born and raised and have lived in St. Joseph County all my life.  My entire career has been in public service. I look forward to working with you was we both strive to make Colon a community to be proud of.

Zoning Permits

Contact Doug Kuhlman at (269) 651-3130 

Building Permits

Contact Joe Wickey at (269) 816-4951

Zoning Fees

Here is the list of fees for Zoning services.

 Buy a Brick Form

Blight Officer
Email Mike Haydon or call him at (269) 435-8505.
Mechanical Permit


Needed in order to construct or add an addition to any building within the village boundaries.

Electrical Permit 

Needed to do any electrical renovation in your house or commercial building.

Plumbing Permit

Needed in order to change or add plumbing to any building within the village boundaries.

Village Office

Answers and more are available for you at your village office located at:

110 N. Blackstone Ave

Call us 9am-5pm Mon, Tues, Thurs

Wednesday 9am-7pm

Friday 8a.-4pm.  First Saturday of the month 8am-noon (269) 432-2532